Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Weekend

Yes, it's three days past the weekend, but I can still write about it. Let's start with Valentine's day. Valentine's day lasted 4 days for me. How nice is that? On Wednesday, I got a delivery of a box of candy (favorites that I haven't had in years). Then Thursday, I received a delivery of flowers. So when Friday came along, Emma and I were wondering what the delivery would be that day. No deliveries, but Dakota came home early from work, and he and I did go out to dinner without the girls. That was an adventure! We went to Coci Cucina, one of our favorites. It's not far, and usually it would take 8-10 minutes to get there. But Friday night, someone decided an impromptu blizzard would be fun, so it ended up taking us 45 minutes to get there! Fortunately, they still had a table for us when we arrived. We thought it was nice to have dinner by ourselves (a rare event these days), unfortunately, Ashlyn wasn't of the same mind. The poor baby was just beside herself and couldn't get over the fact that mom and dad had left her with a sitter. Life's full of disappointments, isn't it? Anyway, that brings me to Saturday. Seeing as how I'd already received candy, flowers, and gone out to dinner, I wasn't expecting much for the actual Valentine's day. But after I woke up, I was given two gift bags. The first had a cool picture frame with a nice picture in it. And the second had a new camera. We'd been talking about needing a new camera soon, and Dakota had won a gift card for some stores downtown, so we thought that would be a good use of the gift card. But I wasn't expecting to get one so soon, or that he would do all the research, looking and testing. Nice surprise. One cool thing is it takes nicer video clips and includes sound. So watch for some new test clips on here soon. On Valentine's Day, we also all exchanged a bunch of cards and gave the girls some flowers. Oh, and we made pink, heart shaped pancakes for breakfast too. I 'm blessed to have a great husband and kids to share Valentine's day (and every day) with.

Then Sunday, Dakota's mom and dad came up for the day. We took part in the baby dedication at our church, and had Ashlyn dedicated. Basically that means that we commit ourselves to raising her in a Christian home, and to teaching her about Jesus and the Bible and all that good stuff. After that, we came home and enjoyed some Mexican food. Then we all crashed on couches or the floor for an afternoon siesta. Shortly before dinner time, we headed over to the nursing home for our monthly visit. We brought valentines to hand out to all the residents there. Emma loves handing things out to them! That's when she's most social and talkative with the people there. Several of the residents said our valentines were the only ones they had received. That was sad, but it made us glad that we had thought to bring them.

That about wraps up the more interesting details of our weekend. There were a few other things I might mention. The first is that Ashlyn LOVES to walk now. She quickly figured out how to walk all the way across the room by herself. It's like she thinks it's a game or something. And second, one of the reasons the evens of the weekend aren't being posted until now, is that we've all been passing around a bad cold again. Ashlyln seems to have gotten it the worst this time. She's been pretty miserable at times. The good news is she's finally showing signs of getting better. So she'll probably be feeling back to herself again later this week.

No comments: