Monday, July 20, 2009

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'...

When I have a bit of free time on a Friday or Saturday morning, I enjoy going to garage sales. It's not too often I get to do it without having to take both girls with me, and as a result, I don't go nearly as often as I used to. But last Friday I decided to stop at one near our house, where we found the missing piece in Emma's life. --A pair of Barbie roller skates!-- They were similar to the old metal ones I had as a kid that were adjustable and fit over my shoes. Only these were pink and white, made of plastic and had Barbie's picture plastered on them. But they were something she had to have. Since there was also a bag of matching knee and elbow pads sitting next to the skates, I gave in and traded our $4 for Emma's new found summer love. Yesterday, we put them on her and let her practice skating around the deck in back. The knee and elbow pads had enough elastic to go around the leg of an elephant. So, there was a lot of extra material hanging from her pads. The skates had a nice (optional) feature that only allowed the wheels to turn in a forward direction. I think it was a small, but life-saving feature for my little 4 year old who sometimes has trouble staying upright in regular shoes, without wheels. Emma had a great time wearing a path into our deck, and Ashlyn made a fun game of chasing her back and forth. Here the girls are sitting together on the swing, after catching their breath.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Cute picture of the 2 of them! Natalie got a set of skates/pads just like that (but Dora) for her third birthday. At the time, she wanted to be like the character on Super Why that skates around (can't remember her name). :)