Wednesday, October 29, 2008

No Fear

Emma likes to boast that she's not afraid of anything. While that's not quite true, she does seem to show no fear when it comes to some things that are common fears for kids. In an earlier post, I mentioned that not only is she not afraid of shots at the doctor's office, she actually looks forward to them! She's also not afraid of the dark--our power went out recently one night, and she thought it was fun because we played making shadows with our flashlights. And she's not afraid of bugs, which is good, because they're EVERYWHERE right now! Every few years we get this unbelievable infestation of box elder bugs. They cover the whole backside of our house, get in all our window screens so we can't open the windows or sliding doors, and fill our living room--I probably killed 15-20 today alone! Since the weather was nice this afternoon, I let Emma play out back while Ashlyn napped and I hunted bugs inside. Little did I know, Emma was going on her own bug hunt outside. When I checked on her a few minutes later, she was talking to a bug she had caught in her hand and saying, "Silly sweetie. What a cute little bug." Then she proceeded to show me the bug soup she was making--a mixture of rocks, leaves and dead grass for the bugs. She took her bug tweezers and pinched another bug from the side of the house, tried to feed it some dead grass, and then added it to her bug soup, all while telling the bug how cute it was. That's what we need--well fed, coddled bugs, that choose to make this their home for generations to come!

No comments: