Friday, September 28, 2012

Studying Nature... with Play-Doh

I think we're finally getting close to finding our groove with school this fall.  It's definitely been a challenge to get back on track, with figuring out how to divide up my time, and providing each child with the work and/or attention needed.  We're not 100% there yet, but we are getting closer--as evidenced by my willingness to... get out the Play-Doh!

A short time ago, we went on a little nature hike around the neighborhood.  Along the way I told the girls they could collect some leaves--but they couldn't be crumpled.  They wanted to know what we were going to do with them, but I told them it was for a surprise later.  They didn't bug me too much about it, mostly because they were excited I was actually letting them collect leaves to bring home.

We also had a camera with us, and the girls got to take turns taking pictures, when they weren't busy collecting leaves.

Once we got home, we put the leaves aside, under some heavy things to help flatten them a bit.  Then a few days later we took them out and used them for this fun project!

We've done fall leaf projects before where we looked at the colors of the leaves, or we looked at the shape and tried to identify the type of tree they came from.  But this time, we were looking at the texture of the leaves.

After studying all the different leaves we had collected, the girls rolled out their Play-Doh and started carving out leaf shapes.  Then they were instructed to imitate the leaves as best they could, with the texture around the edges, the patterns of the veins, and any other bumps or things they noticed.

They had a fun time creating their leaves, and I was surprised at how well they did.

No comments: