Sunday, September 16, 2012

Randomly Wrapping Up Summer

Wow, I didn't realize it had been about a month since I last posted on here.  It's been a crazy past month, with wrapping up summer projects, getting ready for another school year, traveling to visit family, and having family come here.  It's been all I can do to keep my head above water some days.  But I suppose that's to be expected this time of year.

Anywho, here's my attempt at getting caught up on blogging.  And the best thing about getting caught up is I'll be able to cross another thing off of my to-do list!  Just that alone will make this time worthwhile.  :)

My last post was about our fun filled day at the state fair.  Well, we did something unusual this year--we went back to the fair for a second day!  (Well, evening, really.)  It still mystifies me how I went from being a non-fair-person to going twice in one week of my own free will!  The return trip was for a free Boyz II Men concert on the closing night.  Apparently about 50,000 other people had the same great idea, b/c traffic was insane!  Fortunately, we had some idea of how to get around using side streets, and we have friends who let us park for free at their house, a few blocks from the fairgrounds.  If not for that, we probably would have still been waiting in traffic when they shut the place down that night!

The concert didn't get off to the best start.  The area was packed, and we had to deal with some rather, um, rough and also colorful characters who decided to park themselves all around us.  The girls, also, were quite grumpy and whiny, since they couldn't see the stage and just wanted to go jump on the big bungee trampolines.  I think at least one of them was in tears by the start of the show.  (Do we know how to have fun or what?!)

When the group came out, they sang many slow ballads, and only a few of their lively up-beat songs.  But they few lively songs they sang were enough to get the girls up and dancing.  That helped.  And by the end, they were all smiles and laughter again.  (Then we headed for the big bungee trampolines. --That helped too.)

Later in the month, Dakota and I bought some new-to-us bikes from a neighbor's garage sale.  We've gone for several family bike rides since then, and Dakota is quite proud of the bike-train he's concocted.

Ashlyn rides the tag-along, and Josiah chills out in the trailer.

And the last random bit of summer I'll add is the painting project I ended up spending more time on than I expected.  I found a kids wooden table and chair set being discarded by someone several years ago.  My sister helped me fix them up, but for the past many years, the set has sat in our basement and garage collecting dust.  But now with space in our new school room, I decided it was time to pull them out and give them a bright new look.  (Before...)


I let the girls pick out some bright, bold colors, and each design a chair of her own.  Then I set to work painting the chairs.  I forgot to take a "before" picture until after I'd already started with the blue paint.  So just imagine the picture above with all white parts.  And below you can see the finished product!
 That about wraps up the month of August.  More to come soon about family reunions and other activities!

No comments: