Saturday, February 4, 2012

What a Week!

It's been quite a week around here! I've been kind of lost in sick-kid world for most of the week. I'd like to say we're making headway and are on the verge of wellness, but I'm not quite convinced of it just yet. One of the three is recovered, but the other two are still struggling with coughs, congestion and an ear infection. :(

Friday was the toughest day. It went something like this: a doctor's visit, an ear infection, a trip to the pharmacy for 2 prescriptions, mom covered in snot, drool and coughs, pen all over one child's face (she wanted to make her eyebrows darker), spilled chocolate milk on the same child's clothes, blood on tights, multiple fits and mini-melt downs, and lunch bumped back to 2pm. It wasn't pretty.

Though, it did get better when the two younger ones went down for a nap later in the afternoon. I got Emma started on her school work, and while she was busy on her independent work, I was able to get a short nap. Naps are like chocolate--sweet and indulgent and over all too soon! Can I get an amen?!

At the end of the day, there was one moment I looked back on and laughed about. I was recounting to Dakota about how the visit at the doctor's office had gone, and I thought about Josiah's behavior. It then occurred to me that he had behaved like a little boy who had a crush on his doctor. The nurse and everyone else we encountered received a very straight-faced stare, but when the doctor walked in, he was all smiles for her. He would grin at her, and then bashfully bury his face in my chest, and then turn to grin at her again. It was a funny little game he played.

Throughout the trying times, my sweet Emma left me post-it notes in various places around the house to remind me she loves me, which was just what I needed to help me survive the day/week.

I was glad for the weekend to come, the chance to sleep in an extra 15 minutes (golden!) and an extra set of hands to help out around the house. I was not so glad about the huge winter storm that buried us in lots of thick, wet and heavy snow today, but the girls were glad to finally get to build snowmen. At least someone enjoyed it.

That about sums up the week for me. Hoping to get a little more sleep tonight. I've got my fingers crossed!

No comments: