Thursday, December 22, 2011

Josiah Updates

It's amazing to me how much a baby boy can change in just over a month! When I last posted about Josiah, he was sitting up on his own, and that was about it. But now, look out! The boy is on the move! (Here with the help of Emma, who is trying to teach him how to dance!)


A month ago, he could already roll, but was only just figuring out that he could roll himself over to things he wanted to get. That rolling lead to scooting backwards, which lead to getting trapped in some unusual places.


Finally, the scooting backwards lead to forward army crawling, which lead to full on crawling.

Once he had mastered crawling for more than a day, he decided it was time to start pulling up on things and climbing on them. Currently, his favorite toy is a chair that plays music, and it didn't take long for him to discover that if the chair was left near the couch, he could use it to climb onto the couch! Oy ve!

And he hasn't slowed down much in the growth department. He turned 8 months old yesterday and weighed in at 24 pounds. It should be interesting at Christmas when he gets to visit with his cousin, Nathan, who is a year and a half older than him and just hit 22 pounds!

Another Josiah update has to do with his hair, a.k.a. his muppet mop. A few weeks ago I noticed his hair was getting really shaggy, especially on the sides. It was growing over his ears and was starting to look slightly girly. See? (And that's his favorite chair toy that he uses for climbing, incase you were wondering.)


I felt that his hair needed a trim, but had no idea what to do about it. I didn't think there was any place I could take a 7 month old for a hair cut, so I figured the task would fall to me.

After asking friends for ideas on how to cut the hair of a baby who won't sit still for more than 5 seconds, I decided to give it my best shot. One afternoon I turned on Jeopardy. He is seriously fascinated by that show, and it is the only thing he will sit still for. So I got out my comb and scissors and had a go. (Emma took pictures.) I had no idea what I was doing. Do you think he looks worried?


Well, his attention span was long enough for me to do most of one side, and just start on the other. It looked terrible! Later that evening he fell asleep in my arms and I told Dakota to get me the electric clippers. I used them to finish the second side. But when I tried to use the clippers to clean up the first side, he woke up and that was the end of that.

The next morning I could see that there were still areas that needed to be fixed, so I got out the clippers again while the girls tried to distract him. In the end I had to resign myself to "good enough." Dakota says I'm probably the only one who notices the mistakes. But I think it's more obvious than that and he's just trying to make me feel better.


It's not perfect, but it is better. Anyway, now the front is so long and starting to get in his eyes. I'm dreading tackling that. I think I'll wait until after the holidays so I can hide him at home if it turns out disastrous.

And now, says the boy, this is what I do when I'm tired--I suck my thumb and play with my hair. This looks like a good place to wrap up this post.

1 comment:

Lisa K said...

The haircut looks good. Guess that weird Jeopardy music is good for something!