Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Christmas Blessing

It may seem like a small thing, but it was actually a pretty big blessing to me. The day of Christmas eve I was stressing because there was just too much left to do, and not nearly enough time to finish it all. On my to-do list was to make a batch of cinnamon rolls. It's a tradition that we always have cinnamon rolls for our big Christmas day brunch. And my mother-in-law had given me a brand new mixer that was just begging to be used. I had a new mixer and a new recipe all set to try out... but the time... there was just no time!

Around the middle of the day we took a break from all of our tasks to deliver cookies and Christmas cards to some of our neighbors. It was nice to walk around and visit with our neighbors. Some even invited us inside, exchanged treats with us, or showed the girls some special Christmas books. At the last house toward the top of the hill, our neighbors invited us in and traded treats with us. And do you know what they handed us? It was a big plate of homemade cinnamon rolls!

No one had told them I'd been stressing over cinnamon rolls, or that I was evening planning to make cinnamon rolls. And yet, that one simple gesture had lifted a burden off of my shoulders, and our family got to enjoy homemade cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning.

Like I said, it may seem like kind of a small thing, but it was a pretty cool Christmas blessing to me. :)

No comments: