Friday, December 31, 2010

Where's Linus??

Wow! December was an amazingly fast paced month! But isn't it always? I was reflecting the other day on how much I loved December and the Christmas season when I was a kid. Nothing to do but count the days until Christmas break and wait for the presents to start rolling in! And if it snowed--bonus!--you got to go sledding outside and make snowmen!

Somehow, somewhere along the way, all that kind of changed. And it's sad. Instead of a feeling of joy and anticipation when December 1st rolls along, I'm hit with an overwhelming sensation of "the clock is ticking!" No longer the child, now I'm the parent, responsible for Christmas shopping, cookie baking, present wrapping, schedule making, home decorating, card sending, holiday crafting, and so much more! And, if it snows--look out! Then I get to add floor mopping to my list!

Each year I vow to cut back in some way so I can relax more and try to enjoy the season more. But each year there only seems to be more that gets added on. (Try doing all the above with a growing belly and hormonally challenged energy reserves!) I want so badly to just veg on the couch with my girls and watch the Charlie Brown Christmas every day (their new favorite movie) in an attempt try to rediscover the "true meaning of Christmas." Maybe next year...

I am glad at least that I get to see the joy on my children's faces as they experience the excitement of the season that I remember from long ago. That helps make all the work worth it.

But next year... next year I may have to let go of a few things and not be so concerned with the expectations others have for me or my family. After all, I want to be in on the excitement that my kids experience--I don't want to just get to watch it from my place in line at the check out counter.

Just a bit of reflecting... (pictures and a more fun post about our actual Christmas to come.)
Happy New Year!

No comments: