Thursday, December 9, 2010

Scented Christmas Ornaments

I remembered this little project we did earlier in the year, and thought this would be the perfect time to share it again. I found a recipe for making a type of play-doh from cinnamon and applesauce and gave it a try. Mix equal parts of cinnamon and applesauce; stir and kneed until it has a dough-like consistency. If it's too sticky, add more cinnamon. If it's too dry, add more applesauce. Very easy.

We used cookie cutters to make a variety of shapes, and then I made a little hole at the top with a tooth pick. We let them dry on wax paper for a few days, and they hardened up nicely.

The shapes keep their scent even when dried. And the warm smell of apples and cinnamon is perfect for this time of year! You could string a ribbon through the hole to make ornaments, or go without the hole, and include the shapes in a gift basket for a nice Christmassy smell.

It's a fun and easy project for kids, doesn't cost much, and the hardened products make a nice gift! Everyone wins!

4 comments:

klgpac said...

Great ideas! Thanks! I remember making "clove Orange balls at Christmas as a child and tying ribbons around them and hanging in closets and giving as gifts.... it was amazing too!"

Jenny said...

We used to make these when I was little and learned the hard way that they needed to be hung up high or our dog would eat them off the tree. :)

Nikki said...

I remember these as a kid! Thanks for posting this great idea! I think we'll do this craft with the little ones this weekend!

Beth said...

Someone told me about these last year, and they used puffy paints or something similar to paint them after they were dry...way cute. I might do this with the boys this year. Need to stock up on cinnamon though. :)