Thanks to all of you who sent me e-mails or made posts to set me straight about the spikey snow (see previous post) actually being called "hoar frost." Nice name. It's still a wonder to me how fog can freeze into those delicate little spikes on everything.
Anywho... now we've got ice. It's kind of neat to look at, but treacherous to leave the house. I pulled out my old cross country/track & field spikes yesterday, thinking I'd use them to go get the mail. My aunt (in New Mexico) asked if everyone in IA needs spikes to get their mail. Ha ha... no, just those of us lucky enough to have steep drive ways covered in a slick sheet of ice. My coaches would be glad to know I'm putting my spikes to such good use after all these years!
But even with the spikes, I didn't get any farther than the front porch. Maybe with an ice pick, some ropes and a harness... or I could just wait for it to melt. Haven't had anywhere pressing I needed to go, so I'll just sit here near the window and appreciate it's unique beauty. Here are a few pictures from our front and back yards. (Not included in the pictures are the many large piles of branches that have fallen off of our neighbor's tree. So far our trees are holding up, but theirs doesn't seem to be taking this too well.)
Update: We just got back from Hy-Vee's all-you-can-eat-spaghetti for $1 night. Gotta love dinner for a buck! But that has little to do with my post about the ice storm. What I wanted to add here was that even a day and a half after the ice storm, the trees are still thickly coated with ice. And they looked awesome with the street lights shining on them tonight as we drove by. I wish I had had my camera with me. Though, my family is probably glad I didn't, or we'd still be out there.
1 comment:
I really wanted to go to $1 spaghetti night.. but we had dinner plans with friends. I ran into Jerry Kluver at the Urbandale HyVee this morning and he tells me they had like 800 people there for spaghetti night! Wow!
Post a Comment