Thursday, April 23, 2009

Silly Putty

Yesterday Emma and I tried again to make some homemade silly putty. I remember making it lots of times as a kid. All we used was liquid starch and glue. So a week or so ago, I got those ingredients and started mixing. But it was a disaster, and I have no idea why! My guess was either they had changed something in the liquid starch, or the Target brand glue wasn't cutting it. I looked up the recipe online, and it said exactly what I had remembered--liquid starch and glue--but some of the recipes did specify Elmer's glue. So yesterday we tried again, with Elmer's glue this time. The results were a little better this time, but still not what I remember as a kid. At least this time we got something we could play with, although it didn't keep its shape very well, and kept getting really gooey and sticking to our fingers. I experimented with using more starch or using more glue, but nothing seemed to get us to the more firm consistency I remember from long ago. Has anyone else tried this, or does anyone have any tips for doing this better?

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Nope, didn't even know you could make silly putty, but I always had fun making Oobleck when I was a kid, out of corn starch and water.

Erin said...

k...so there's a chance.....i made potato candy at christmas when my fiance's mom told me it was a family tradition of Chad's dads...
so we looked it up online and it said to add powdered sugar...i started to and it got REALLY runny...the trick was to add a LOT of powdered sugar. so...i'm guessing LOTS of corn starch instead of just a little (like i had to add an entire bag of p.s. to 1 c. of mashed potatoes to get the right consistency)
i don't know if it'll work, but from my experience, i'd say more!

Heather said...

Yeah, but the silly putty recipe doesn't call for corn starch, it calls for liquid startch--like what you'd use for getting wrinkles out of clothes when you iron them. I actually thought about corn starch, and tried using it when I first experimented with this a week ago. But it didn't help. I wonder if it has to do with the liquid starch I'm using. I'd like to try a different brand, but so far I haven't seen any other brands that make a non-aerosol form.