Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Apple Pie Parties!

I had hoped to get this post out yesterday.  But our little fiery furnace scare set my anxiety levels soaring, and there wasn't much of anything I got done yesterday.  So I'm trying again today! 

Apple pie parties--we've had a lot of these lately!  I've got a friend who hosts an evening of apple pie making every year.  I had never made an apple pie before I went to one of her pie making events several years ago.  And many pies later, I am now hosting my own!

This year my friend offered to help anyone who wanted to host their own pie making party, so I decided to give it a try.  In fact, I agreed to do it twice!

Two Sundays ago I hosted a group of five Kenyan ladies from our church who had never made pies before.  Two of my expert pie-making friends came to help.  I set up stations for peeling and cutting apples, mixing the pie filling, mixing up a crust, and rolling out the crust.

The afternoon was a lot of fun, and by the end, we had five tasty looking apple pies ready for baking!

Then last Sunday, I hosted the ladies on our street for another afternoon of pie-making.  The group more than doubled in size, but several of the ladies had made pies before, so they didn't need as much help.

Emma attended my friend's annual pie making evening with me last Thursday, where she made her own apple pie for the first time.  She generously offered to let her pie be baked and share it with the neighbors while they were over on Sunday.  Everyone agreed that Emma's pie was delicious!

We're fortunate to live on a street with so many friendly neighbors who enjoy getting together for social events.  We have regular summer gatherings, and a progressive dinner every year.  I have a feeling this pie making party may get added to the list of annual events.

No comments: