Two days ago we returned home from a family "vacation." I put the word "vacation" in quotes, because in my mind vacations are supposed to be relaxing, fun and freeing. And while many parts of this trip were fun, our time away from home was anything but relaxing and freeing.
I've struggled even more with the desire to relax since coming home. But instead, I've been met with the physical and mental demands of cleaning up after sick children. (In addition to unpacking, cleaning the house and dealing with noisy workers finishing up the addition.) One girl started with a stomach bug the night we returned home, the other one picked it up today, and the baby has had a bad case of the squirts since just before we came home.
Now, if you know me at all, you know that the stomach bug is the one illness I cannot handle AT ALL. Fortunately for me, every time it has hit our family before now, Dakota has been here to help clean up messes and take care of sick children. I will freely admit to being the worst mom a child could have when sick with a stomach bug. Unfortunately, it would just so happen that this is the one week Dakota has no flexibility in his work schedule--no ability to work from home, and he has to put in longer hours than usual. It's just by God's grace that I'm getting by this week. And I'm praying that I'll be spared the bug I've been cleaning up after.
With all this, I feel the tug of family and friends asking to see pictures and hear about the trip. I want to share these things, but as much as I want to be able to do it all (take care of the kids, clean the house, keep up with laundry, unpack, process and post pictures, blog about the trip, etc.) I fully realize that I am not superwoman, and I cannot do it all. And it is for that specific reason that I really appreciated something MoneySavingMom posted today.
It's a multi-post series, but today's post was focused on recognizing that you can't do it all. Being a task-oriented person and type-A personality, I want to be able to do it all. And the feeling that I can never fully keep up with it all is a constant source of stress for me. So I thought I would share the link to this well-written post for anyone else out there struggling like me.
One piece of encouragement I especially appreciated from her post today was this, "Do the best you can with the energy, gifts, talents, and resources you have in the season of life you are in. And then be free from guilt!" In this season of life I am in... I think this is the "season" where my house will never be completely clean, there will always be piles of laundry, and even if I'm cleaning up sick spots, I need to remember to be thankful for the children who made them. Someday the sick spots will be no more, the laundry will all be clean and put away, and the house will be completely clean. But it will be a quiet house because the children will be grown and on their own.
So all that being said, thank you for your patience in waiting for the stories and pictures from our "vacation." They will be coming, and hopefully soon. But for today, I'm just going to feel accomplished in making it through until my husband gets home.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh no poor thing. I pray everyone gets better and mama stays healthy. You may not be able to do everything you want done when you want, but I know for a fact that you more than superwoman, you are SUPERMOM!
Post a Comment