
While I'm thinking of things I've recently made, I thought I'd share about some books I made last month. For the past 3 years or so, I've put together a family yearbook after the end of each year. Each book is a collection of pictures and stories about what we did as a family that year. I've really enjoyed making them, but I haven't always enjoyed the website/program I used to put them together. This year I found a new company with better publishing software, which was free to download. I also found that I could do more than just make my traditional photo book, I could also make other types of books. For as little as $5, you can create and publish a book of stories, poems, recipes, you name it! (And you can publish and and actually sell your own books on their website too!) So I decided to have some fun with it. After I finished the daunting task of organizing a year's worth of photos--more than we've had any other year because of Ashlyn joining us--I set to work creating a book of stories for Emma. Dakota helped with a couple of the story lines, and Emma came up with one story on her own. I used pictures of Emma, her best friend Natalie, and Ashlyn to help tell the stories. I loved the finished product--a 40 page book, containing 4 stories with color photos. In fact, it was so successful, I decided to make a similar book for Natalie. Now the girls each have a book of stories in which they go on a search for a princess, pretend to be different people, and throw a party together. If you like to be creative or have ever had a thought of writing stories for yourself or your kids, check out
http://www.blurb.com/.

(My pictures of the book pages didn't turn out the best, but you get the idea. The above picture is from the photo year book.)

(These two--above and below--are from Emma's book.)
3 comments:
Those are fantastic! I may have to do one! Brent made a book for Ethan (just on his own, not using any online software) which was kind of a year in review after his 1st year, but it's been a while...I think I'll check out that website! Thanks for sharing!
I have used Blurb before, too - for photos of my sister's wedding. It's so nice to work on it at your own pace without having to be online to do it! I gave up scrapbooking for the digital version now.
I used to scrapbook, but haven't since the kids were born... Maybe this could be my new thing and make our own yearbooks for each year. How do the books look when done? Are they hardbound and look professional? I'm going to check out this site! Thanks for the tip on this!
Post a Comment