Tuesday, May 14, 2013

What I Fed My Kids Tonight

Tonight's menu happened to be all gluten free.  It consisted of cauliflower-crust pizza, a spinach salad, pineapple, grapes, and chickpea-chocolate-chip cookies.  And the kids asked for seconds on all of it (even the spinach)!

I found the Cauliflower-crust pizza recipe in a little magazine my city puts out each month.  (Recipe by Jan Allen)  It looked interesting, so I gave it a try.  And I have to say, it was pretty tasty!  I couldn't even taste the cauliflower!
2 C grated cauliflower (about 1/2 a head)
1/2 C yogurt
1 egg
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400.  Cut, rinse, and then grate the cauliflower.  (I used a food processor.)  Drain out any extra water and place 2 cups of the grated cauliflower in a bowl.  Mix the other ingredients into the cauliflower.  Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and spread it out.  Bake the crust for 20-30 minutes until lightly browned.  Then top the crust with sauce, cheese and your favorite pizza toppings.  Put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. Yum!

The chickpea-chocolate-chip cookies were a delicious surprise.  I found the original recipe here.  Like my gluten free black bean brownie recipe, these cookies have beans (chickpeas--aka garbanzo beans) as their main ingredient.  But if you make these without your kids watching, I promise they'll never know!  The cookies are amazing!

I followed the original recipe pretty closely, but used sunbutter instead of peanut butter, and added about 3 Tbsp of milk.  I will definitely be making these again!  You could experiment with adding thing like cocoa powder, for chocolate-chocolate chip cookies, or add sunflower seeds to give them a little more texture. But even just as the original recipe goes, they are soft, rich and delicious!

Enjoy!

No comments: