I even got Dakota to try a small one. Now, anyone who knows my husband knows he doesn't eat sweets, cookies, cakes, brownies, candy, etc... but I actually got him to try a few bites, and he said it tasted very rich, and like a cross between fudge and a brownie. And I'd agree with that. Ready to try some yourself yet?
First let me show you a picture. See how nice and fudgy they look? And the chocolate chips are just melting out the side where the brownies were cut. Is your mouth watering yet?
Ready for the recipe?
Are you sure you're ready?
It's not a joke.
This is the real recipe...
BLACK BEAN BROWNIES:
1 can black beans (salt free. drained/rinsed)
3 eggs
1/3 C. melted butter
1/4 C. cocoa powder
1/8 tsp salt (omit the salt if you do not have salt free beans)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C. + 2 Tbs sugar
1/2 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 C. chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350 and lightly butter an 8x8 glass baking dish.
In blender or food processor, puree beans, eggs, butter, cocoa, salt, vanilla and sugar until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake 30 minutes or until center is set.
Bet you weren't guessing black beans would be the secret ingredient! And there's no flour, so if you know anyone with gluten issues, this would be a great recipe for them. The only thing I was a little disappointed about was that the batter was fairly thin after it was all pureed together. So when I added the chocolate chips, they sank right to the bottom. If there were a way to keep them from all sinking straight to the bottom, I think that would be better. But even still, it was pretty good. So give it a try. Make it for a friend or surprise a loved one. Sneak some secret nutrition into your kid's diet. Take a batch to work and make a game of who can guess the secret ingredient. (But if you happen to work with my husband, and he brings them to work one day, don't spoil the surprise for everyone else, please.) Have fun!
Oh, and thanks again, Nikki, for a very different and tasty recipe!
For another great gluten-free dessert with an unusual main ingredient, check out these chickpea-chocolate-chip cookies. They're amazing!
26 comments:
Wow! You tried them! I'm glad they went over well with your family...i agree that the choc chips need to stay evenly dispursed in the batter rather than sitting at the bottom. kind of a crazy recipe...but works!
I read your post about the sunflower butter turning green! so crazy but makes total sense! I'm going to have to pick some up to try in a recipe in place of peanut butter!
Yes! I have made these... they are soooooooooo good!
I can't wait to try these this week, I plan on substituting applesauce in place of the butter, maybe it will be a little thicker? I'll let you knw
Coat the chocolate chips in some type of powder before you mix them in and they won't sink. Normally I'd suggest a little flour, but if you are trying to make these wheat free you could use rice flour, or a little cornstarch. It doesn't take much - a T. or so and put it in a baggie with the chips and shake well. Chips won't sink after that.
Nichole, I'll be interested to hear how it turns out with the applesauce!
Mary, another friend suggested that too, but I didn't have any luck with it. What I finally did was mix half of the chocolate chips in with the batter, and then scatter the other half on top after the batter was poured into the pan. Some of the ones on top stayed on top and some sunk about half way down. So that seemed to help keep them all from ending up on the bottom. :)
Mary/Heather: I made this recipe out of intrigue. LOVE IT! I used mini chocolate chips instead of big ones. They aren't as heavy and none of mine sinked to the bottom. Try it. It works!
Kimberly, I hadn't thought about using mini chocolate chips. Great idea! :)
I made these today substituting 1/3c applesauce for the butter and they were great. I did have to bake about 5 min longer (just watched for the side to pull away from the pan) because of the slight increase in moisture. My 2 year old loves them! Also, I put the chocolate chips on top and they seemed to disperse well.
I just made a black bean brownie today that was dairy free and grain free. So yummy!
I am going to try these too. You should really pin this to Pinerest.
Thanks so much for the great recipe, can't wait to try it! Love all the different suggestions, thought if the mini chocolate chips right away and appreciate the idea with the applesauce! So much cheaper & healthier. :). We have tons of applesauce from this Fall in the freezer, any other good ideas for this? We use it in our oatmeal all the time..
I just made the brownies and they are a hit! I strained and rinsed my blackbeans..then let them sit in the sink for a few hours to get rid of the moisture..before I added the chips the batter was thick enough to hold the chips. I also used applesauce instead of butter..I just pureed up the chips in the blender(in the mix)...and put in Pan!
I am intrigued. I was talking with a friend today about a black bean brownie recipe. I had heard of adding spinach. I haven't tried either but want to see if I can pull it off. I don't think I will tell my guinea pigs before except to let them know there is a "secret" ingredient. Thanks for posting
Hi, may I ask you what the weight is? A can is not really clear for me in Italy and I would rellay love to try this recipe.
Thanks
Antonella
The can size 15.25 ounces or 432 grams
Thanks for the help with the weight, Mama of 7!
With all the comments about using applesauce, I'm going to have to try this recipe again with that substitution. Thanks!
Mama of 7, you can substitute applesauce for the fat (butter/oil) in any recipe.
What is the Exchange?
Forgive me, Momma of 7, but I'm not sure what you mean by the Exchange.
I wasnt very clear..how do you replace applesauce for oil/butter I'm every recipe.. is there some kind of guidelines?
Oh, the applesauce-oil exchange! Got it! :) When I've used applesauce in place of oil, I've made it an equal exchange.
Just a note about the can weight - I assume 432 grams is including water, is that right? So if Antonella is making this from freshly cooked beans she'd need to know the drained weight - it would make quite a difference to the finished product if not.
It is all of the contents of the can...
I made these last night after seeing the recipe linked from MoneySavingMom.com and they were a hit. I definitely am NOT telling my kids about the beans!
I used coconut oil instead of butter and I actually forgot the chocolate chips for about the first 10 minutes of baking time, so I scattered them on the top and it worked beautifully - nothing sunk to the bottom! Oh, I also used about 2 cups of cooked beans instead of canned. Hope that helps someone!
Kelly, thanks for mentioning that you tried it with coconut oil. My husband and I have recently been turned onto coconut oil and coconut butter, and we've been fiding some really tasty ways to use them! I'll have to try this brownie recipe with coconut oil next time.
Here are a couple of the more successful recipes we've tried in the last few months that have coconut oil or buter:
Sugar-free Fruit Muffins
http://onederrblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/sugar-free-muffin-recipe.html
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Fudge:
http://onederrblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/mondays-motivation.html
Healthier Granola Bars
http://onederrblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/healthier-granola-bars.html
Enjoy!
So good!! Thank you for this!
Post a Comment