I used to make it using quart jars placed in a pot of boiling water. The yogurt that came from that recipe was never the same--sometimes I got a good batch, sometimes not. But the process was time consuming, and I broke a lot of quart jars and wasted a lot of milk.
Then I started using a friend's recipe where I made the yogurt in a crock pot. But I didn't like that I had to set timers and do things to the milk/yogurt every 2-3 hours. And I don't think I ever really got the hang of it, because it always turned out really runny.
So I sat down and looked at several different ways of making yogurt--from the ingredients to the process--and I came up with my own version. It takes about 20 minutes to put it all together, but that's it! And the result has been thick and creamy yogurt every time! The process is faster and the results are better. I love it!
Here's what you'll need:
A large pot
Quart jars
Kitchen thermometer
A small cooler (big enough to fit your quart jars)
Milk
Powdered milk
Yogurt starter (a small container of plain yogurt from the store)
The how-to:
Prepare your quart jars by adding 3 Tbsp of powdered milk and 3Tbsp of yogurt starter to each jar. Set the jars aside.
Pour your milk into a large pot on the stove. I usually use a half gallon at a time (two quarts). Heat on medium-high heat, stirring frequently (stir constantly toward the end). Use the thermometer to monitor the temperature. Heat the milk to 185 degrees, then take it off the burner.
Fill your sink with 3-4 inches of cold water, and slowly lower the pot into the sink. (Make sure the water level is below the top of the pot. You don't want water getting into your milk.) You can add ice to the water to help the cooling process go more quickly.
Stir the milk and continue to monitor the temperature. When it is between 100-115 degrees, take the pot out of the cold water. This step usually takes 5-10 minutes for me. (If you let it sit too long and the milk gets too cold, just heat it up again on the stove.)
Ladle the warm milk into each jar, and carefully stir it into the powdered milk and yogurt that were sitting at the bottom of the jars. Screw on the lids.
Fill your cooler about a third of the way with warm water (not too hot, not too cold). Place your jars in the cooler, and let them sit for about 8 hours. That's it!
I've used this method several times now, and my yogurt has come out great every time--thick and creamy, with a very mild flavor. I've used whole milk and also 2%, and both have been equally as thick. Stir in some honey for a sweetener, top it with granola, or blend it in a smoothie. It's good stuff!
Next... how to use your homemade yogurt to make your own cream cheese! (And yes, it's easy too!)
No comments:
Post a Comment