Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Roller Coaster of a Morning (a.k.a. Peanut Challenge Update)

Emma's appointment at the allergist was at 8:00 this morning.  She was scheduled for a several-hour-long peanut challenge.  She had gone through a peanut challenge last year, but did not pass.  About half way through the last challenge, her throat got scratchy/itchy and started swelling up.  But since a recent blood test showed her allergy levels dropping for the first time, the doctor thought it would be worth trying the challenge again before beginning the desensitization program she was scheduled to start next month.

At about 8:30am, the challenge got underway.  Dakota sat at the office with her, while I kept the younger two at home.  I got a few messages from Dakota along the way that said Emma was doing fine and the challenge was progressing well.  It wasn't long before she got past the step where she had a reaction the time before.

Then at 10:30 I got a very exciting text--Emma had just finished the last step in the challenge!  Now they had to sit and wait for an hour in the office to see if she had any delayed reactions. 

At 11:20 I got a message that she was still doing fine.  I was so excited!  She was going to pass!!

But ten minutes later I got a different message--Emma was breaking out in hives.  They were treating her with several different allergy medicines. 

More time passed... the hives were spreading quickly and the allergy meds weren't stopping them. 

Just after noon, I got the message that they gave Emma an epi shot to stop the hives.  Finally, she got relief and the hives quickly faded.

I wasn't sure how to feel.  It was a huge sense of relief when I heard the epi shot had stopped the hives, and nothing worse happened.  Part of me was heartbroken that she'd been so close to the end and then had that reaction--and that the reaction had been bad enough she needed and epi shot to stop it.  But the other part of me was still hopeful, because she had gotten to the end of the challenge before she had a reaction. 

The doctor kept Emma in the office for about another hour for observation, and they arrived home around 1:30pm.

After they got home, I was filled in on the rest of the details.  Emma had done a great job and I was so proud of her.  Yes, she had had a bad outbreak of hives at the end, BUT the doctor said there was still good news.  She won't have to go through the desensitization program! 

She didn't have any internal reaction--no trouble breathing, no stomach ache, no scratchy, swollen throat--all of that was great news!  Her only reaction was the hives, and the doctor said that's usually the last reaction kids outgrow.  She thinks the reaction was due to Emma getting peanut butter on her hands, which were already scratched and broken out from dry skin.  She believes if Emma hadn't gotten the pb on her hands, or if her hands had not been broken out prior to today's appointment, she wouldn't have had any reaction. 

So in some ways, I'm actually thankful that she had the reaction in the office today, and not at home one day when it would have really freaked me out. 

The final result?  In two weeks, we'll go back to establish a "safe" daily dose for Emma.  From that point on, she'll take her daily dose of peanut butter or peanuts to help her body continue to recognize peanuts as a "friendly" food.  Eventually her body will outgrow the hives reaction, and that will be the end of it!

So today's peanut challenge was a success!  We are blessed beyond measure by the outcome!  I don't think Emma quite understands that it really was a huge success.  I think she is still processing the reaction she had, and the fact that she had to have an epi shot.  But soon, she will be able to eat without fear, go to birthday parties without bringing a "special treat" for herself, attend summer camp without worrying about meal time, and live like a "normal" kid!

Thank you to everyone who has been praying for her and our family as we've gone through this.  Your prayers and encouragement have really meant a lot to us.  The journey's not over yet, but the light at the end of tunnel is growing brighter!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

How exciting! So glad to hear of the great report.