Monday, October 17, 2011

50+ Pounds of Fruit!

As I had mentioned in an earlier post, we joined an organic food co-op last month. Last week we received our first order, which included over 50 pounds of fresh fruit! Organic fruit doesn't last as long, so we knew this past weekend it was either use it or lose it!

I have no idea how many hours we spent peeling, chopping, pureeing and freezing fruit, but it was a lot! We chopped some and froze it in chunks to use for smoothies or baking in the future. Most of the rest of it was made into baby food or various sauces--applesauce and pear sauce.

Here is a smaller batch of peaches cooking in the crock pot.


This was how we did the pears and apples too. Once they were nice and soft, we put them in the blender and then poured the sauce into ice cube trays (for baby food) or other storage containers and popped them into the freezer.

The sauces were delicious! Nothing extra added--no sugar or flavorings or colorings or anything. But even after all our work over the weekend, we still have 10-15 pounds of apples left. I'd like to make something besides applesauce with them, but I'm not sure yet what. Right now I'm just happy to have a break from peeling and cutting fruit. Maybe in a few days I'll be ready to get back to the remaining apples.

No comments: