Then, about a week and a half ago, I thought maybe I'd check the account again--if nothing else, just to make sure the account remained active and didn't get deleted. And much to my surprise, there were two new e-mails waiting to be read! The first had arrived just after Thanksgiving, and the second, just after Christmas! Traveling Addy had somehow resurfaced and was on the move again!
But she wasn't where we expected her to be. Instead of Malaysia, the first of the new e-mails came from the United Arab Emirates. A friendly family had taken her in and shown her the sights. Emma and I spent a few days researching and learning about this new country, and we were able to exchange more e-mails and ask questions of the family who hosted Addy back in November.
Unbeknownst to us, after leaving the United Arab Emirates, Traveling Addy headed for Ireland, where she enjoyed a festive Irish Christmas. Her host family took her around to different places and sent us several pictures of her time there. (This was the 2nd new e-mail waiting for us.) The family also shared a lot of wonderful information about themselves and their country with us. Emma and I spent school time doing more research about Ireland before we left on our own trip last week.We're not sure where Traveling Addy spent January, or where she is at currently, but hopefully we'll find out soon! It's been fun to learn about these other countries, though the waiting between visits has been hard.
4 comments:
I really don't think if I started this project it would go very far. I don't think I know a single person in another country. It sounds so fun though, I would love to be able to do this next year with the girls!
All you have to know is one person, and they don't even have to be in another country. I think if we do this project next year we'll start it out in the states instead of jumping right into international travel. I'm learning it takes so much longer to send mail from one country to another, which is probably why Traveling Addy has only sent us mail from 3 countries so far. :)
This sounds like a very fun way to learn about geography. Can you share any hints that you found helpful?
Lisa, I'd be happy to send you whatever hints or tips you'd like. You could even see the Traveling Addy card we sent out. Just one thing first--could you send me an e-mail letting me know which Lisa you are? :) Forgive me, but I know at least 4 Lisas who check this blog from time to time, and without a last name or picture, I'm not sure which one you are. :)
Post a Comment