I was honestly dreading this whole loose tooth phase for a couple reasons. First of all, wiggly teeth really creep me out. It's just not natural to see a tooth wiggle and bend forward and back and side to side. I know not everyone is bothered by it, but I just think it's creepy.
The second reason I wasn't looking forward to this phase is because I have noticed a pattern when it comes to Emma and anything that involves blood and/or discomfort. Whatever the situation is always gets blown way out of proportion, she freaks out, and we hear complaints about it for days (or longer). I envisioned a loose tooth being the start of sleepless nights and tear-filled days. I imagined the loose tooth would hang by a thread for weeks on end, because she wouldn't want to cause her self pain by pulling it out. Those were my expectations. And I'm happy to report, I was wrong.
She worked on her tooth daily, proud of the progress she was making, and almost giddy at the way she could gross me out by showing me how far she could bend it. Then last night, Dakota gave her a tissue and told her to see if she could get it out. She dutifully complied, even well past bedtime, until *pop!* out it came. Without a tear, without a complaint, she said it didn't even hurt. Phew!
Today has been funny. She has been so excited to tell any and everyone about her lost tooth. This morning in a public bathroom, while I was helping Ashlyn on the potty, I heard Emma at the sinks showing and telling a group of older ladies about the whole story. She even told them how the tooth fairy left her, "two twenty-five piece moneys!!" (She apparently lost the word "quarter" from her vocabulary amidst all the excitement.) And everyone else we met throughout the morning was treated to the same story.
I'm excited for Emma, but also a little bit sad (for me) at the same time. My little girl is growing up! Sunday she was baptized, yesterday she lost her first tooth, and in less than a week she'll celebrate her 6th birthday! Please slow down! At least a little bit?
1 comment:
Way to go, Emma! No crying!
Loose teeth creep me out, too. Not looking forward to that.
Post a Comment