"Mom! You'll never guess what I got at school today!" Emma said as she climbed into the van.
Her teacher echoed, "Yeah, Mom, you've got to see what Emma got. It's in the plastic baggie in her school bag."
So, indulging the teacher and the 4 year old, I reached into Emma's bag and pulled out the plastic zip lock baggie. Um, it was not what I was expecting. Not even close.
This is what was in the bag:

Her teacher echoed, "Yeah, Mom, you've got to see what Emma got. It's in the plastic baggie in her school bag."
So, indulging the teacher and the 4 year old, I reached into Emma's bag and pulled out the plastic zip lock baggie. Um, it was not what I was expecting. Not even close.
This is what was in the bag:
The first thing I did was to double check the zip lock seal. Can you blame me? Would you want this thing crawling around your car?!
Then the teacher informed me that Emma had been playing with it and carrying it around the room with her for about 25 minutes before anyone realized what she had. Once her new "pet" was discovered, the teacher thought it best to put it in the zip lock baggie and let Emma take it home with her. You know, 'cause pets belong at home and not at school! And of course, then, she wanted to take it out and play with it once she got home. Oh! Such a creepy bug!
What is the fascination with kids and bugs? After we got home, the girls and I played outside and went for a walk. But before we got started, Emma found another bug, which she happily let crawl up her arm, and showed off to her sister.
I thought girls were supposed to be scared of bugs.
5 comments:
Whoa. That thing is gross looking! I don't think that I would want to touch it. You have one brave daughter!!!
My boys are very into bugs now. A friend told me that Bass Pro Shops has some cute bug collection things for kids. Maybe a neat Christmas idea, unless your trying to discourage the bug thing. :o)
Emma's bug looks like an earwig maybe:
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/earwis.html
that bug gives me the heebie geebies! yuck! you're a good mom though for indulging her! :0
Ewww, we can't stand earwigs and find them occasionally around here. That is what it looks like. So gross! Does she still have it?
Yep, we had earwigs in our house when I was growing up, and we've found a few in our current house, too. They are terribly creepy looking bugs! And not something I would think of picking up and playing with--especially with that pincher-looking thing on its backside.
Jenny, in answer to your question, no, it did not survive the night. So it is no longer with us.
Post a Comment