Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday's Adventures

So we had an interesting start to our Monday. This morning Emma and I got locked out of the house, with Ashlyn still inside. And since I didn't really have any other options, I asked some random Mexican guys for help, and they took the door off to let me back inside. True story.

Now for the details... I stepped out onto the back deck with Emma, to spray sunscreen on her and myself, while Ashlyn stood in the kitchen and watched us through the screen door. Once we were all greased up, I went to open the screen door to go back in, but somehow it had locked when I shut it. I have no idea how it would just lock by itself, but obviously it wasn't locked when I went out, because I was able to open it. So that's still a mystery. Anyway, I tried everything I could to get that door open, and started contemplating cutting the screen to reach my hand in and get the lock undone. But like the responsible husband he is, Dakota had put all his tools away, safely locked in the garage. Hmmmm... Then I heard voices coming from my neighbor's yard. They've been having every kind of work imaginable done to their house this summer, and there just happened to be a crew of Mexican guys out there working at this particular time. So I left Emma on the deck and went over to ask if they could help. (Fortunately they spoke English, and I didn't have to try to explain the situation in rusty Spanish!) Three of them came over and found a way to take the screen door off to let me back in. Taking the door off was not hard, but it took them a few minutes to figure out how to put it back on again. So, note to Dakota: check the lock on the screen door. And note to self: maybe leave the door open just a pinch next time. :)

After all that, I got Ashlyn greased up and stuffed like a sausage into her little pink swim suit, and we headed out to the wading pool. There are a handful of free wading pools in our area, and they're a great thing to take advantage of on a blistering hot day like today. The one we went to today was just a simple one. It went from 0 to 18 inches deep, and had a nice fence around the outside. Some of the other wading pools have big fountains and playgrounds and stuff like that. But today, smaller was better. There were a couple day care groups there, but they didn't stay long, and soon we had the pool all to ourselves. The water was pretty frigid, but that's just what you need to take the edge off the heat. Ashlyn, however, had a different perspective. In her mind, the water was cold, so we should avoid it at all costs. But after a while of watching Emma splash and walk around in it, she grew more brave. The big pipe that lets all the water in each day was still dripping, and Ashlyn thought it was fun to catch that water in her hands and then run ankle-deep into the pool. Then she'd go back out to catch more water, and then run back into the pool. That went on for quite a while, but at least she was having fun (finally). Emma got over the cold temperature pretty quickly, and enjoyed when she had the pool to herself. She went into the middle, where it was deeper, and played around until it was time to leave. It was a nice way to spend a hot morning.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I like how you described Ashlyn as being, "stuffed like a sausage" into her swimsuit...that would be me this year...therefore I will be foregoing the suit wearing. I WILL be wearing something! ;) more like shorts and t-shirt!