Sunday, June 14, 2009

Flag Day

I'm guessing, based on the absence of flags on houses in our neighborhood, that not many people were aware today was flag day. I'm also guessing it was something that was celebrated or recognized with great pride back in our parents' day, and our generation has just lost interest in it. It seems like if there's not a way for a store to make a great sales advertisement out of it, or there's not a bunch of drinking and partying associated with it, then there's little interest in preserving the recognition of a day. And that's too bad, in my opinion.
So anyway, I was glad that flag day happened to fall on the day we were scheduled to visit the nursing home this month. Emma's friend, Natalie, and her mom, Jenny, decided to come with us, and the residents were happy to see another pretty little girl come to visit them. Since it was flag day, I found small flags the girls could hand out while we were there. The girls seemed to think it was a race to see who could pass out more flags or who could pass them out faster, but even so, the they had a good time, and the residents appreciated the flags. I stopped to talk with one gentleman who thanked us for coming and handing out the flags. He was a WWII veteran who had survived the attack on Pearl Harbor. I wish I were better at making conversation, and that I could sit and talk longer with some of the people there. I bet they would have some incredible stories to tell--the kind you don't get from text books and school. Hopefully when the girls are older, and I don't have to chase them around the room as much, we/I can get better about sitting down and having conversations with the people there, instead of passing by with just the quick small talk or smile. Until then, I'm glad we can at least pass by with some pretty little girls who make them smile. And I know they always enjoy Dakota's piano music.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

We had fun, thanks for letting us tag along. :)