Friday, September 5, 2008

Boyfriends??

This morning before Emma headed off for preschool, she asked, "Mom, do you think my new boyfriend will be there?" Whaaa?? I probably shouldn't be too concerned, though. It can't be too serious if she only remembers his name half the time she talks about him. Right? And after what she told me she played with him today, I don't think she's the one I'd need to be concerned about. When I asked her what they played together today she said, "dolls, and we took turns playing baby." But you know, something has changed with Emma and boys since she started going to preschool 3 weeks ago. She used to be scared of all boys, and especially boys who were bigger than her, and boys that were on any playground equipment that she wanted to play on. At a year and a half old, she would cry if a boy even walked up to her or walked past her. By three, she wouldn't cry, but would instead cling to my leg or get this worried look on her face if there was a boy around. But suddenly, since the start of preschool, she's come home telling us, "I made friends with some boys today!" Or, "I played with some really big boys on the playground today!" So it seems that preschool is helping her get over her fear of boys. (Unfortunately, her father was hoping that would remain a good and healthy fear in her for many, many years to come.)

In other news, Ashlyn has decided she much prefers gumming fingers and clothing to any kind of toy. (Really, we've tried to get her to chew on toys, but she has no interest!) Outsiders may see a picture like this and comment, "Don't you feed your baby?!" Yes, of course we do--fingers and thumbs and bibs and shirts...

No comments: