Sunday, August 24, 2014

My New Favorite Healthy Treat!

A while back, I was wandering around Whole Foods looking for a healthy snack.  I wanted something crispy (I'm a cracker-lover), but I wanted something grain-free.  It also had to be tasty, and not cost a ridiculous amount of money. 

I saw some small bags of flavored coconut chips.  One bag was chocolate flavored, and the ingredients were simple.  But then I looked at the price.  It did not fit the requirements!

Not to be deterred, I decided to try to make my own version at home.  And I was happily surprised at how easy it was!

I had tried making toasted coconut chips with chili powder and garlic salt before.  And they were a great go-to snack when I wanted something savory or salty.  But these chocolate coconut chips are perfect when I need a little something that's chocolatey and crunchy!

Chocolate Coconut Chips
Ingredients:
1 Cup large, unsweetened coconut flakes
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp cocoa power
1 Tbsp honey (more if you like it sweeter, less if you don't want it as sweet)
pinch of salt

Directions:
Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a large frying pan.  When oil is heated, add the coconut chips.  Stir them around in the oil.  Let the chips brown lightly in the pan (4-5 minutes), then turn off the heat.  Sprinkle the cocoa powder and salt over the chips, and drizzle the honey over them.  Stir the chips well until they are completely coated.

Pour the hot coconut chips onto a sheet of parchment paper and spread them out.  Let them sit out until they are cool.  Once cooled, break apart any large chunks, and store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.

They're gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, and guilt-free!  I recommend doubling the recipe.  I also recommend hiding the container in a back corner or drawer of your refrigerator so the rest of the family doesn't see them and feel tempted to eat them all!

Happy healthy snacking!

No comments: