Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter!

It's been quite the weekend!  And I'm looking forward to bed tonight!

Before I forget, I'm going to throw in this Easter craft we did Friday.  They were cute little bunny eggs.  I thought the idea sounded easy enough that the girls could do it themselves, but it was soon clear that I needed to do the putting together, and they could do the face decorating.  Still the kids all thought the bunny eggs were fun to play with.


Now, back to the weekend!  Our first stop Saturday morning was at an egg hunt put on by the local fire department.  We didn't realize it was chocolate eggs instead of plastic eggs that the kids would be racing for, but they still had fun doing it.  (And they said chocolate eggs tasted better than plastic ones anyway.) 

Then it was off to gymnastics classes for the girls, and errand running for me!  Later in the afternoon, the girls and I went over to Whole Foods to color some eggs.  And then we all headed over to church for an early evening service.  It was so unusual to go to church on Saturday night and have Sunday morning free!

This morning we ate apple pie for breakfast!  Do we know how to start a holiday right, or what!  After church last night, we went out to dinner and got home kind of late.  So the pie I made went into the fridge and made a wonderful Sunday morning breakfast.

While the kids were still in their pj's, we let them dye their Easter eggs.  It was quite the combination of styles--we had crayons, dyes, stickers, glitter, you name it!



And we tried a new experiment for coloring eggs, which we rather liked the results of!  I got the idea here.  Each kid got to do one egg.  If we hadn't run out of food coloring, we would have colored more this way! 

Next, we all got dressed (finally!), and the kids did their Easter egg scavenger hunt.  Josiah dropped out after the first couple clues, but the girls stuck with it to the end, and they all found their Easter baskets!  

To our surprise, the rain they had predicted for today never happened, so we then went outside for a more traditional egg hunt. 


Emma was stumped on where to find her last two eggs.  She was feeling pretty frustrated, especially when I told her she'd walked right by it several times already.  Can you spot the egg?

She did eventually find it, but the very last one is still out there in its original hiding place.  I'm thinking of putting a little money in it and just letting it go to whoever can find it.  It's pretty amazing how a little money can reignite the motivation to get something done!

Speaking of igniting things, Dakota fired up the grill for the first time this season.  He took care of making lunch, while I worked on cleaning things up around the house and putting together lesson plans for this week.

After lunch, some took naps, and some just enjoyed the quiet house.  But not for long... the girls and I couldn't let a nice day like this go to waste.  So we dusted off the cobwebs on our scooters, (yes, I have one too), and hit the green belt trail!  We would have done well to keep our first ride of the year on the shorter side, but that thought didn't occur to us until just after we passed the point of no return on the loop.  Next year we'll remember (maybe).

After another late dinner and showers for all, I'm ready to call it a night!

Happy Easter!
He is risen!

No comments: