It's Christmas Eve, and I have to confess that I've been feeling kind of Grinchy for most of the day. The past week has been anything BUT what I had envisioned. My plans put on hold, postponed indefinitely, or cancelled. New challenges added to my to-do list, and my previous to-do list scrapped. And just when I have thought things were about to turn for the better, they headed south again.
Last week three of us got hit with the flu--fever, chills, aches, coughs, etc. First Ashlyn, then Josiah, then me. My week of fun plans, outings, crafts, baking, and getting ready for Christmas was greatly altered. I had hoped we'd be better by the weekend, when we were supposed to host several of Dakota's family. But it wasn't to be. His parents still came for a short visit on Saturday (despite us expressing concerns about still being contagious), but that was all.
While I've been improving, I've still been struggling to get basic things done around the house (laundry, tidying up piles, making lunch, etc.) since my energy levels haven't completely returned yet. But today was the day that broke me.
Go back to yesterday. Josiah has been struggling with a cough since coming down with his flu virus. But yesterday he seemed to be coughing less and feeling better. I was hopeful that we had turned the corner. That hope lasted until I got into bed last night. Then the coughing started again. He had a LONG night of chronic coughing and needing tissues. That meant I had another long night of very little sleep.
This morning I awoke to a little boy who was feeling worse, and two girls who were suddenly coughing more too. Ugh!
I was also greeted with the news that our phone an internet were not working. Apparently the -15 degree temperatures over night were too much for our phone line, and it called it quits. (By the way, that -15 was not a wind chill temperature--it was the ACTUAL temperature!) The phone company said the soonest they could come fix it would be Friday. Friday?!
I wanted to crawl back into bed and hide under my sheets for the rest of the day.
But being a mom, that's rarely an option, so I got up and took a shower, giving thanks that at least we had hot water. Shortly after that, Dakota packed up Josiah and took him to a walk-in clinic to see about his worsening cough. After spending a couple hours at the clinic, Josiah was diagnosed with croup and bronchiolitis.
It just kept getting better! And I haven't even mentioned bundling the girls up and dragging them out in the freezing cold to return some library books, only to find the library was closed today! But I didn't know that ahead of time, b/c I couldn't check their hours online, because our internet and phone were out!
It was time to head back to bed!
After a little rest and a perspective check, I got up, did a couple loads of laundry, and did some work in the kitchen. Josiah took a peaceful nap, and by late afternoon Dakota had restored the phone and internet to working order. We're still missing out on Christmas Eve service at church, and there are still unwrapped presents that need to be wrapped. Josiah hated the breathing treatment we had to give him after his nap, and he's still coughing quite a bit. BUT we're all together in a warm house. None of us are sick enough to need to be in bed, and we can spend a little time just hanging out as a family tonight. There are many blessings to be thankful for, if I will take the time to look for them. And knowing that Christmas is tomorrow, I am reminded that the best is yet to come. Yep, the best is yet to come.
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment