Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Boy and His Train

Any parent of a 2 year old knows that when the house is quiet--too quiet--it's time to get worried.  A short time ago, the house was too quiet.  So I called out, "Josiah, where are you?"  And I heard a small, distant voice reply, "Playing in my train."

Way back in April, we got him a big cardboard train to play in.  But the girls seemed more interested in it than he was.

For months it has sat, just taking up space.  And just recently I thought about taking it down since no one plays with it.  Well, the boy must have heard my thoughts, because it was almost at that exact time, that he started disappearing for long stretches of time.  He was disappearing into his train.

He now thinks it's great to collect all the toys, puzzles, stuffed animals, books, and whatever else he can find, and fill his train with them.  Then he sits there in the middle of it, surrounded by all his treasures, playing happily and quietly.

Any like any other homeschooling mom, I know exactly how long this wonderful, quiet, engaged play will last--it will last exactly until the first day of school.  And on that day, when I need him to sit quietly for a few minutes, the train and all its treasures will lose their appeal, and he'll be back to his tornado-like self.  You can count on it.

No comments: