One day, she found a book I was saving, and decided to see what it was all about. It's a book that teaches basic drawing, step-by-step, and includes a few sentences for reading and writing. She immediately started flipping through the pages, drawing all the different animals and things she saw. I was impressed with her first drawing attempts (barn, chicken, turkey, pig--the fairies were her own creation). There was more she added after I took the picture, but I was impressed she was able to even figure this much out.
Her reading comprehension is improving too. During her reading time, she used to read through the pages as fast as she could, just to show me how many pages she could read in a set amount of time. So we've had to work on slowing down a bit and reading to understand and remember. But that's going really well.
She got a real treat this past week, as one of my aunts sent her a big box full of chapter books! And the little bookworm that she is, dove right in!
Handwriting is another thing we've worked hard on. One day during quiet time, I told her she could practice her handwriting by writing a letter to someone. I was really surprised at what she came up with all on her own! Of course we still need to work on spelling, but I wasn't expecting this... (Translation below)
("Dear Natalie, I hope we have a playdate soon. I love you very much. You are right, best friends forever and always. I feel like you do everything. You need to love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faith and hope and care. Love, Emma XXOXOX" She also included a math problem for her friend to fill in at the bottom: "Natalie has 2 acorns. Natalie has 3 more acorns. How many acorns does Natalie have?")
We've had fun with science, drawing bugs she found outside, and playing feel-it-draw-it games with things from nature.
And Emma has kept busy with activities outside the house, too. She has been participating in soccer, ballet, and AWANAS nearly every week. And she got to participate in a homeschool PE class at the YMCA a couple weeks ago. It's a fun program where kids get to play group games, learn about exercising, and go swimming. It's just too bad it's only once a month.
There's more that we've done, but those are some of the highlights. Thanks for your interest in our journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment