Saturday, October 2, 2010

Having Fun in the Rain

We've been blessed with a break from the rain this past week. I honestly don't remember the last time we had a solid week with no rain this year. I think I heard one of the weathermen commenting that it was sometime in the spring that we had a whole week that was dry. So this post probably isn't the most timely, considering it's from the last time we had rain--last weekend. But it was still fun, so I'm posting it anyway.

Last weekend the Smithsonian Magazine sponsored "free museum day." In our area, that meant you could get a free ticket to Terrace Hill, the NASCAR Sprint Museum, or Living History Farms. Since LHF is less than 5 minutes from our house, and the girls like it there, that's what we choose for our free tickets.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be a rainy day--a very rainy day. Now, the girls don't mind playing outside in the rain. (That's what rain boots and raincoats are for!) And Dakota doesn't mind being out in a little rain. But I prefer dryer, warmer climates. So Dakota took the girls over to the farms for most of the morning and they had a great time.



They took long walks in the rain, helped roll out dough for a pie, splashed in mud puddles, jumped in a barn full of hay, and pretended to go to school in the old school house.

Even though it was a free admission day, the place was nearly empty on account of the rain. They had such a fun time. When they got home, they were completely soaked and late for lunch, but no one complained about it. (Except maybe me, because I was hungry.)

So the lesson here--don't let a little rain spoil your day. Maybe I'll try a little harder to learn that lesson next time around. :)

No comments: