Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Camping and Cleaning--Two Things I Don't Love

About two weeks after visiting with my family, Dakota took the kids down to visit his family.  The short trip to the farm was fun for them, and a whirlwind of work for me.  I did not go down to the farm with everyone else, as I had a bigger project to tackle.

On that Friday afternoon, Dakota and the kids headed south. The kids donned their rain boots and farm clothes, and headed for the woods!  They loved splashing through the creek, and picking their way through the woods.



They also loved turning the large hay bales into giant trampolines!

As the sun started to set, they got the campfire going and put up the tent.  When darkness fell, they pulled out the glow sticks and lanterns.

The next morning, the kids had the run of the farm again. The animals got some extra attention.

And if Ashlyn could have found a hiding place for Jag in the van, I have no doubt he'd be living at our house right now.

Aunt Lindsey came and showed the kids a thing or two about fishing.  Dakota took the kids out in a boat, while Lindsey, the fish whisperer, fished from the shore.  She caught four fish, and the boat people caught none.

Before heading home, Lindsey had everyone over to her house.  It was the first time Dakota and the kids had been there.  I think the kids were most impressed with her animal collection, and are trying to figure out how to start their own farm in our little back yard.
....

Back in Iowa on Friday afternoon, I quickly set to work on my big project.  Certain areas in the house are in terrible need of a deep cleaning.  One of the neediest rooms was the girls' room.  There was stuff everywhere!  The girls couldn't find half of what they looked for, and they had no idea what treasures were buried deep in the corners and cubbies of their room. So I started by gutting their room.

Here are some before pictures of the floor, cubbies, closet, and other areas.

After gutting the room, I introduced some new storage devices, and then I started the sorting.  SO MUCH SORTING! I made a few runs to Target, Home Depot, and Office Depot, plus a quick run to Whole Foods for dinner.  The sorting and organizing went on and on, and before I knew it, it was midnight.  Time to call it quits for the night!

The next morning I was at it again!  The time was ticking! The girls would be home by dinner and their room was far from ready.  Season 1 of the Gilmore Girls kept me company while I brought things back into the room and slowly put everything back together again.

After...

I finished with a few minutes left to get into Josiah's closet and do some cleaning in there. When everyone got home, the kids found me working on lesson plans in the school room. They had wanted me to come with them to the farm, but I told them I needed to stay behind and do a lot of cleaning that weekend.  Emma walked all through the downstairs and concluded I had lied, since nothing had been touched as far as she could see.  I told her she'd eventually figure out what I had worked on, which flipped the light switch and sent her running upstairs.  The girls were happy to see their new room and they loved all the new organization!  I was relieved they were not upset that I had moved everything and gotten rid of so many things!

So it had been a fun weekend for them, and a productive weekend for me!

No comments: