Saturday, July 12, 2014

Triathlon Challenge

This morning sure came early!  Four of the five of us were up well before we normally would be on a Saturday morning.  Before Josiah was even awake, the sitter arrived, and Dakota, Emma, Ashlyn and I left for the race.

This was Emma's third year of competing in the Hy-Vee Kid's Triathlon.  But it was her first year in the Intermediate division, which meant all the distances (for the swim, bike and run) doubled from last year.  She swam 100M, biked 4 miles, and ran a 1K.

The swim was probably the most challenging part for her.  She's used to swimming in the pool, but the race took place in a lake.  Open water swimming is quite different from pool swimming.


Then she ran up to the transition area.  She made such a quick transition this year, she was nearly done by the time we ran up to see her. 

Then she ran her bike out for the next part of the race.

She had been gone for a while when we heard about an accident out on the course.  Of course we were nervous that she was somehow involved.  But a few minutes later, she cycled back in, ready to transition to running.

Dakota and I were both surprised at how fast she did the run!  I was standing at the finish line waiting, but thought she'd still be another couple minutes.  Then all of the sudden, I heard the announcer call her number as she ran to the finish line! 

What a great finish! 
It was a tough race, with the distances doubled from last year.  But Emma fought through it and did a great job!  We were so proud of her!

Ashlyn came along to see what the race was all about.  She was old enough to participate this year, but I think she wanted to see what it was all about before trying it out.  While she liked cheering Emma on, she wasn't too crazy about all the running Dakota and I were doing (and making her do) to keep up with Emma during the race.  So we'll see if there's any interest in her doing her own race next year.

No comments: