Friday, May 23, 2014

Track--The Next Generation

In high school I was very involved in sports.  I ran cross country in the fall, competed in gymnastics through the winter months, and ran track in the spring.  Track was my favorite of the sports--especially the long and triple jumps and hurdles.

Last night I got to pass the love of track on to the next generation.  The girls got to run in their first track meet last night.  It was a pretty low-key meet for kids age 5-14.  They had a handful of running events, and two field events the kids could try.  They could enter as many or as few events as they wanted.

Ashlyn ran in the 50m and 100m races--the only ones for her age group.
 She took second in both of her races.

Emma competed in the standing long jump, 50m, 100m, 400m, and 4x100m relay.
She fought hard in the races, but her age group had quite a few fast girls in it.
She put forth a good effort in the 400m race and finished strong.  I think the middle and longer distances might be more of her thing.

Toward the end of the meet, she was asked by a group of girls if she wanted to join their relay team.  They only had 3 girls, and needed one more.  She had never done a relay before, but she jumped at the chance to try it. 


Some of the parents told us about a kids running club in the area that trains a few times a week in the spring and fall, and then competes in nearby track and cross country races.  Both Dakota and Emma seemed interested in that.  Though, I'm not sure how many more activities our schedule can hold.  But it's fun to pass the baton (so to speak) to the next generation of track-lovers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should see if Brocaw Blazers is out of your area. I know the team was formed because of an Iowa family the coach used to coach. Corey ran for the their team as a youngster, but the practices were further away than we could deal with. We were able to participate in two national AAU cross country meets, and 1 National Youth Cross Country meet.

Heather said...

I looked them up, but it looks like they're out of KY. The track group that we learned about that night also does cross country in the fall. So we may look into that in the fall.