Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Labor (Day) of Love

Over Labor Day weekend, millions of Americans hit the highways, heading for all sorts of exciting destinations.  And sometimes, whether voluntarily or not, a few of them find their cars stopping in the middle of Iowa.  Such was the case with a family of five, who pulled into our driveway that weekend.  But it's OK--we knew them.

Over the days my family was here, we did a lot of swimming, picture taking, card playing, swimming, eating, card playing, and picture taking.  It was an action-packed weekend!

First, a group shot of everyone...

Then my mom and her girls...

And the cute little boys...

I brought a frame along to test out an idea I had.  Here's the result--my mom with her kids and grand kids.  I thought it was a fun way to show the generations.  (Though, way more photo editing work than I expected!)

Then there were these cuties...

But don't think it was all smiles the whole time.  Kids can only sit still and be smiley for so long...

Speaking of kids not sitting still for long, here are the many faces of my nephew, Nathan. (All taken within the span of about 20 seconds)

And how could I (the photographer) compete with geese?

We finished up the photo shoot with a race across the bridge, with one lost shoe, and one kid going the wrong way, but we were finished!

Then, it was on to swimming...

These little guys made cute swimming buddies. 

And I mentioned card playing.  Group solitaire is our family game.  This year we began initiating the younger generation, which Emma loved!

Most of my family left on Monday, but my youngest sister stayed a couple extra days.  As a reward for her decision to hang out with us longer, we took her to Sky Zone, which is like a warehouse full of trampolines.  It was a pretty fun time!
We also attempted to put together a music video with my sister's help, but that's still a work in progress.  (And I thought editing photos was a lot of work!)  Hopefully I'll get to show that to you sometime before my kids are grown!

It was a lot of work, but we enjoyed having everyone here for so many days.  Looking forward to the next family get together!

No comments: