Every once in a while I come across something in our homeschooling that I think is worth sharing with just about everyone I know. And recently, it happened again.At the home school conference we attended in June, I came across a booth in which an author was signing and selling her books. Good books are really hard for me to pass up, so I stopped and looked for a while. After talking with the author's husband for a short time, I was sold. I bought a set and took them home to use for school this fall.
The six-book series is called Circle C Beginnings, by Susan K Marlow. The main character is a 6 year old girl named Andi, and the stories take place on her family's ranch, in the 1870's. Andi has all sorts of fun adventures, many of which include her horses and friends. The books are wholesome and well written. They're just right for young readers who are ready to start chapter books, and the story lines are interesting enough for parents who want to read them to younger children who are not yet reading on their own.
One of the best things about these books is there are activity packets you can download for free from the author's website. There is a 20 page activity packet that goes with each book. The packets include coloring pages (great illustrations taken from the book), maps, history, math, crafts, vocabulary and other activities related to each story. There are even extra project ideas, like recipes and writing prompts for kids to write their own stories. You can check out the story packets and download them for free here.
The projects and activities in the packets really make these stores a lot more fun. For homeschooling families who enjoy doing lapbooks, or for anyone who likes making paper dolls, these are also available for download on Marlow's website.
Andi's adventures in the Circle C Beginnings books are recommended for ages 6-8. (But Emma and I read them to Ashlyn who is only 4, and she enjoys them, too.) If you have a daughter who is a bit older, Marlow has a set of six more books that follow Andi as she grows older, called the Circle C Adventures. They're recommended for ages 9-14, and they also have free study guides or packets you can download for each book.
Marlow is currently working on putting together similar adventure books for boys, called Goldtown Adventures.
I would recommend these books to just about anyone, not just because they're good books, but also because of the free study guide packets the author offers. My girls have really enjoyed the books and activities. (Especially Andi's sugar cookie recipe we tried at the end of the first study guide packet!) Check them out and see for yourself!
2 comments:
Oh, Heather!
Thanks for sharing this delightful review. I really enjoyed reading it. So glad you are enjoying the books!
Blessings,
Susan, AKA "Andi"
I'll have to check these out! I've been looking for some fun books for the kids!
Post a Comment