(Don't look too hard at the lattice on top of the pie. It was my first time trying a lattice top crust, and it's harder than it looks!)
Yesterday was Dakota's birthday, and have I mentioned before that he doesn't like cake? Well, he doesn't. He's not much of a sweets eater, and birthday cakes fall into that "sweets" category. So when I asked him this year what he'd like for his birthday, he suggested a raisin pie might be good to try.
Hmmm... I'm not so much a raisin lover, and I didn't even know you could make a pie from raisins. But it is possible, and more importantly, it even tastes good! :D
The recipe was very easy. The part that took the longest was making the crust from scratch. But if you buy a ready-made crust, you can make this pie in a matter of minutes!
Here's the recipe...
Raisin Pie
2 (9 inch) pie shell
2 cups water
2 cups raisins
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (225 degrees C). In a large saucepan, combine water, sugar, flour, salt, vanilla, butter, cinnamon, lemon juice and zest. Mix well, then stir in raisins. Get the mixture simmering, and then turn heat to medium-low for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Pour raisin mixture into pastry-lined pie pan. Cover with second pastry. Seal edges and cut steam vents in top. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes.
This pie turned out better than I expected and everyone liked it. Give it a try and see what you think!
This pie turned out better than I expected and everyone liked it. Give it a try and see what you think!
No comments:
Post a Comment