Thursday, January 12, 2012

Funny Painting and Funny Hair

Yesterday was a good day for staying inside and playing with paint. The girls love to paint, and I like to find new ways for them to experiment with painting. So yesterday they painted with strings and forks. The string painting was pretty neat. Each cup of paint had a string, which they dipped and then made some design on their paper. I told Emma hers looked like she had been painting with crazy-color spaghetti.


After filling several papers with string art, I next gave the girls forks. I showed them some different ways to use the forks to make marks or patterns with the paint. But in the end, they just preferred to use the forks like stiff paint brushes.


At the end of the day, we sent the girls off to church for Cubbies and Sparks. Unfortunately, even though it had been written on the calendar, we all forgot that last night was crazy hair night. Emma had been talking about it for at least the last week, so I was bummed that we all forgot. To try to make it up to her, I offered to give her "crazy hair" for the whole day today. She thought it was a great idea, and Ashlyn wanted in on it too.

Emma asked for a bunch of loopy braids sticking up in front. Then we stuck butterfly clips onto the braid loops.


Ashlyn wanted a pony tail coming out of the top of her head, with a flower on it. I don't know if you've ever tried, but it's hard to make a pony tail right on the very top of a child's head. I did the best I could, and for a while she had all of her curls on top of her head like a little bird's nest. It was kind of cute.


We weren't planning on going anywhere today, so I didn't have any reservations about letting the girls run around all day with silly hair do's. However, when Emma was invited over to the neighbor's house to play this afternoon, I couldn't help wonder just a little what they thought of her funny loops. But perhaps they just dismissed it and though, "Well, after all, she is homeschooled." And you know what they say about those homeschoolers... We can be a bit quirky at times. :)

2 comments:

Lisa K said...

I love the string and fork ideas, Heather. I had to laugh because I am always scouring the thrift shop for kitchen utensils I can use to make marks on fabric. In the spring you'll have nature printing available. A stalk of rosemary makes an interesting paint brush!

Have fun!

Heather said...

One of my favorite paintings of Emma's (we framed) was one where she used a small branch of pine needles to paint.