Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday the 13th

Today was not an unlucky day, despite what the date might suggest. (Though, perhaps I shouldn't be writing this before the day is over?? Nah...) It started with Dakota taking the morning off, and we took the girls downtown for a performance at the Civic Center.

If you live in the Des Moines area and you homeschool, you should check out the Applause Series at the Civic Center. They offer lots of shows, musicals and educational performances several times throughout the year. And best of all, tickets are only $1.

So today we went to see ImaginOcean. It was kind of like a glow-in-the-dark puppet show under the sea. It was Ashlyn's first big theater experience. While I can't say the show really captivated the adults in our party, the girls really seemed to like it. And it was pretty neat how the actors/puppeteers managed to stay completely hidden in the black lights.


Later in the afternoon, Emma and I spent most of our school time going down a completely different path, learning about pueblos. There were a couple stories in her reading book that talked about pueblos. And it just so happened that my dad had sent her a build-your-own-pueblo kit for Christmas. So our school activities for the day consisted of reading/learning about them, building one, and writing a story about a girl who lived in one.


In the end, despite its reputation, this Friday the 13th was a good day. And no, I'm not superstitious, which is a good thing since there are 3 Friday the 13th's this year--each spaced 13 weeks apart!

2 comments:

Lisa K said...

Glad Emma enjoyed building the pueblo (and learned something in the process!) We'd love to read her story.

Heather said...

We still need to go through the editing and proof reading process, but maybe when it's done I can post it on here.