The vodka was for yet another do-it-yourself project that sounded like a good idea. We go through a fair amount of vanilla extract in our cooking and baking around here. So when I found a blog that described in a few easy steps how to make your own vanilla--the really real stuff, not the fake mix of flavored chemicals I usually end up getting--I was intrigued.
It called for 2 ingredients--vodka and vanilla beans*. Easy enough! The lady who originally posted the instructions made a gallon of vanilla. I thought I'd start with a smaller batch, and make a half gallon. (It ended up turning into 3/4 of a gallon.) Here's the simple how to:
You'll need about 40 vanilla beans** for each half gallon. (That's 20 beans per quart, or 80 beans per gallon. In case you want to make more or less.) You'll also need vodka--however much vanilla you want to make, that's how much vodka you'll need to buy. Then you'll need glass jars. I used quart sized canning jars.
First, take a clean pair of scissors and cut the vanilla beans from bottom to top, leaving about an inch uncut at the top. Like this:
Since I used quart jars, I put 20 cut beans in each jar, then filled the jars with vodka.
Seal the jars and store them in a dark, cool spot for about 6 months.
Give the jars a shake occasionally. In 6 months (it shouldn't hurt anything if you go a little shorter or longer) take the jars out. Strain the vanilla beans out with a coffee filter lined colander. Bottle up your vanilla extract in dark, amber bottles and start using it! Better yet, start a batch in the next month or two, and share the finished product with family and friends as Christmas presents! (Sorry if I just spoiled the surprise for some of our family members reading this. You've got about 9 months to forget and be surprised all over again.) :)
I'll try to remember to let you all know how it turns out 6 months from now!
(It turned out great, by the way! And I was able to use the same beans (saved from the coffee filter) to make a second batch after the first one was done! After having done this a couple times now, I would recommend letting the vanilla age for a minimum of 6 months--if you can wait and let it sit longer, you get an even better flavor.)
*About the vanilla beans. I looked in several stores and online sites to try to find the best deal on vanilla beans, and Olive Nation had by far the best deal I could find. In fact, through 9/20/13, you can get free shipping on vanilla beans AND 20% off. Use the code SAVE20 when you check out.
**Also, when ordering from Olive Nation, you have the option to order the beans by the 1/4 lb, 1/2 lb and 1lb. I ordered a 1/2 lb, which turned out to be around 60 beans--enough to make 3 quarts of vanilla extract (or 3/4 of a gallon). I was only expecting enough beans to make a half gallon of vanilla, but I had enough beans left over to make one more quart; hence, my trip back to the store to buy more vodka.
Update--The 1/2 pound of vanilla beans actually allowed me to make SIX quarts of vanilla extract, since I was able to use the same beans again after my first 3 quarts were finished. The six quarts were enough to give out as Christmas presents to family and friends one year, plus have two years worth of real vanilla extract for my own baking needs!
4 comments:
I've done this exact thing and made my own vanilla using vodka. But, I only bought a pint and used 8 vanilla beans and made it right in the vodka bottle.
The friend whom I received the directions from said you don't have to strain the beans out, just leave them in there. (of course if giving as a gift it's prettier without a bunch of beans in the bottle). They don't go bad and when I've used half of the bottle buy another bottle the same size and fill the vanilla bean bottle back to the top. She told me she's been using the same beans for about 2 years now and they're still strong enough to make good vanilla.
Leaving them in the vodka also makes them available to you to use in recipes if you'd like.
If you don't want the flakes of vanilla (which add a richer flavor( in your recipes then straining would be needed. Another recipe I read said if the recipe is something light colored and I don't want the dark flakes in, to just not shake the bottle up before using. But if the flakes are desired shake away.
I started using my vanilla after about 4 weeks, though it wasn't very strong. It's now been steeping for four months and I've noticed, marked improvement in the flavor each time I use it.
BTW: I LOVE my homemade vanilla. And the boys have noticed a wonderful difference in their favorite goodies.
Marcia, that's good to know about reusing the beans. I've read about also using them to make vanilla sugar, though I'm not exactly sure what you'd use vanilla sugar for. Wonder what else you could use them for.
Heather,
Vanilla sugar is very common in European baking, especially german desserts. It is my favorite thing to request from my german friends for Christmas!
So Becky, what do you use it in? Do you have a favorite recipe you can share? :)
Post a Comment