Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I Hate Hives

It's not just me--we all hate hives. But I suspect no one hates them more than Emma. I'm amazed at how quickly a simple allergy can turn into a significant problem. Emma has her share of allergies--peanuts, cats, dogs, and now various trees and grasses. The list keeps growing. The trees and grasses have never presented as a big problem before now. In fact, we only found out she had those allergies when she tested positive for them on a scratch test last summer. So when she started complaining of a scratchy throat and slightly runny nose last week, after spending TONS of time outside, I chalked it up to the "new" allergies. Annoying, yes, but harmful, not likely. Until yesterday... Her behavior had been pretty bad ever since she got home from school--tantrums and fits at every turn. Finally in the afternoon, she settled down and took a short nap. But when she woke up from her nap, she was beside herself with itchiness! She showed me her legs, and they were both completely covered with hives--and both arms too! I gave her some Benadryl and put her in a cool bath, which calmed her skin pretty quickly. This morning she was fine, and we toyed with the idea of giving her some Zyrtec or something, but not knowing what had caused the hives, we were hesitant to give her more medicine. Then this afternoon, up they popped again! Fortunately, we caught them earlier this time, before they became too wide spread. A call to the allergist assured me I was doing the right thing--more Benadryl and cold compresses on the spreading blotches. The doctor also suspects that we're dealing with a complication of seasonal allergies. So now Emma gets to try allergy medicine twice a day to see if that helps prevent this from reoccurring. We'll all be quite happy if it works. Poor girl!

If you or someone in your family has had any similar problems with allergies, I'd love to hear about it. It helps to know that it's not just my kid who struggles with these kinds of problems.

No comments: