"No," she replied.
I followed up with, "Then why do we have all those things and do all those things on Easter?"
She wisely explained, "We have all those things because it's like a party for Jesus being risen!"
I like the way that girl thinks!
In our family, we don't tell our kids that the Easter bunny is real, or that he comes to our house, hides eggs and leaves Easter baskets. But do our kids still have fun and love Easter? You bet! We're not about squashing fun. We're just about keeping it real. As a Christian, I think the true meaning of holidays like Easter and Christmas get lost in the secular traditions. Don't get me wrong, I happen to like some of those secular traditions, like Easter baskets and Christmas presents, but I'm just not a big fan of telling kids stuff that's not true. After all, if someday our kids found out we had lied to them about the Easter Bunny and Santa being real, might they not also think we've lied to them about Jesus being real?
Anywho, we feel that we can create fun and memorable holidays with our girls without confusing them about what's real and what's not. Jesus is first. He gets top billing. And the fun is in celebrating what good gifts He has given us--Salvation, love, new life, hope, and the list goes on. I have no problem throwing a party for that!
And speaking of parties, we had one here this morning, complete with new party dresses I finally finished last night!
We gave the girls Easter baskets full of goodies, and hid eggs for them in the back yard.
And the girls also spent plenty of time running around, jumping and spinning in circles, because that's just what they love to do!

Now everybody is resting and I should probably join them. But before I do, I'll leave you with this one last thought. I have to wonder what the first Easter might have been like if the traditional Easter Bunny had been in the mix back then...
The conversation between the women at the tomb might have gone something like this, "Oh, that pesky bunny struck again, and this time it looks like he's hidden Jesus' body!" "Did anyone check under the chair or behind the curtains??"
Happy Easter!
No comments:
Post a Comment