One thing I did get crossed off my list was to make dresses for my girls. I had a really good coupon to the fabric store a while back, and took Emma so she could pick out something she liked. Her choice in fabric surprised me a bit, but she insisted it was the most beautiful fabric she had ever seen, so that's what we went with.
I can't sew from a pattern to save my life, so I watched a handful of YouTube videos to get some ideas for what I wanted to do. Then I used some old fabric I had laying around to make a "test dress." I didn't want to use the new fabric and then totally screw up the dress my first time through. I'm glad I did that, because the test dress was far from perfect and needed many alterations before the size and style was what I had in mind. It was a great learning experience!
After a couple weeks of on and off work on them, I finally finished the dresses this past weekend. Or at least they're mostly finished. I think I may have to make a few tweaks here and there before I'm completely satisfied with them. But the girls sure loved them yesterday when I had them try them on! Emma was so happy to have a dress from the special fabric she picked out, and Ashlyn was happy to have a dress that looked like Emma's.
Here are some pictures of the girls modeling their dresses:
This is the back--The ribbon that goes through the front and over the shoulders ties in the middle of the back.
The not-so-camera-shy big sister
The cute little sister who had to be bribed with Pez
Next on the agenda... matching hair bows for the dresses?? Or maybe I should go back and see what all I've got left on that list from last month first.
2 comments:
Those dresses are darling! I'm so impressed! I can't believe you did that without a pattern...that's true talent! You should be on Project Runway!
P.S. Emma did a great job choosing the fabric!
Very cute!
Post a Comment