Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ashlyn's New Booties...err, I Mean Hat

Yesterday I felt some energy returning, and decided I needed to get out of the house for what seemed like the first time in about a week. I went to a craft show that I've had a booth at three different years. (Good thing I didn't sign up to do it this year! (Read next post)) While there, I found a very cute pair of little hand-crocheted baby booties. They looked to be just about the right size for Ashlyn. And for only $2.50, who could pass them up? Once home, I discovered my baby has bigger feet than I thought, and the booties just barely fit right now, and probably won't fit anymore next month. Bummer! But then, being the crafty person I am, I looked those booties over long and hard. Most times I can figure out how something was made, and find a way to replicate it myself. I figured that since I know how to do a basic crochet stitch, I could find a way to make a little bootie. (Note: when I say I know a basic crochet stitch, I do mean basic. I really just know one stitch, and have only ever used it to make nice, flat, rectangular things, like scarves and small blankets.) But then I thought, really, how hard could it be? So I spent part of last night, and part of this afternoon doing my best to figure it out. And here's a picture of Ashlyn wearing the finished product!
Um, yeah, the booties thing just wasn't happening. By the 4th or 5th time around, it was clear that the object I was crocheting resembled more of a bowl than a bootie. So I put it on her head, and Dakota commented how cute our little Jewish baby looked with a beanie on her head. Hmmm... so I kept working until I finally finished what you see. Problem is, not only does Ashlyn have big feet, but she also has a rather large head. (Side note: at Ashlyn's last check up, the nurse measured Ashlyn's head, and then wanted to measure Emma's head. She thought Ashlyn might actually have a bigger (rounder) head than Emma! But Emma's head did turn out to be a couple inches bigger--as it should be considering she's 3 years older!) Anywho, again, the hat fits her now, but probably not for long.
So, to anyone else out there who crochets, how do you make those cute little booties?? I'd be up for tips anytime. Babies don't like to keep shoes on during the winter (at least not this little one) but the booties are just like extra warm socks and she doesn't mind having them on. I'd love for her to have another pair (a little bigger) to wear around the house this winter. Maybe something to match her new hat? :)

2 comments:

Jenny said...

That hat is adorable! I can't help you at all with how to make booties, but I can recommend those generic Robeez from Target. Marissa kept those on when she wouldn't keep anything else on. They are soft and stretchy so I think they're pretty comfortable.

Erin said...

hey! i found your blog thru amy lou's site...
so "hi"
knitting and crocheting are both so foreign to me. urgh. good luck with that!

ps-how on earth do you get a cute background for your blog? i'd like one that's cute!