Thursday, February 26, 2015

It's Cold? Let's Swim!

It's a fact that some of the coldest temperatures of this month have fallen on Wednesdays.  I know this because Josiah has been taking swim lessons each Wednesday in February, and each week I laughed at the fact that I was taking him to swim when we just had a blizzard (beginning of the month) or the windchill was -30 outside. 
Yesterday they were predicting anywhere form 6-9 inches of snow, and I thought--Here we go again!

(Photo from earlier in the month.) Fortunately for us, the predictions were way off, and we only got about an inch.  But it was still cold!

Anyway, my point is not to complain about the weather, but instead to highlight one of Josiah's greatest loves in life--swimming!  In January there was a Groupon for a month of swim lessons at a new swim school (Aqua Tots) that opened up here.  It was a good deal, and I knew Josiah would enjoy it, so we signed him up!

From the first day, he was ready to go!  The other 3 kids in his class weren't so sure, though.  They cried when they had to put their faces in the water or get their heads wet.  But Josiah actually got in trouble one day for dunking himself underwater too much!

The boy couldn't get enough time in the pool!  Even when he was at home, he practiced his swim moves and told me he couldn't wait to show his teacher that he had been practicing his chicken-star-rocket moves.

And then there was this...

His signature diving-bellyflop!  Toward the end of each lesson, the teacher made the kids jump in from the side of the pool.  None of the other kids wanted to jump in unless the teacher was holding their hands.  But Josiah actually told the teacher to back up, and motioned for him to keep backing up farther.  The other moms all laughed at Josiah telling the teacher to back up more, and then they all gasped when they saw the diving-bellyflop. 

He's bummed that his month of lessons is over now, and he can't wait for the summer to come!  (Neither can I--but that's more about the lack of snow and cold.)  If you've got a little one who loves being in the water or needs swim lessons, and you don't want to wait until summer, give Aqua Tots a call.  We enjoyed the facilities, and I'd highly recommend Josiah's instructor, Aaron. 

No comments: