The original recipe was a really good strawberry cake, which I tweaked a little bit to make (in my opinion) even better.
Strawberry-Lemonade Cake
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (can swap 3/4 cup all-purpose flour with 3/4 cup of barley flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
3/4 cups, plus 1 Tablespoons granulated sugar (optional)
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons of lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease (I used coconut oil) an 8x8 baking dish, a 10-inch pie pan, or a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. (This cake does not work in a standard 9-inch pie pan; it will overflow.)
Combine flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 3/4 cups sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer. Mix in egg, milk, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest until just combined. Add the dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth. Pour into prepared pie plate.
Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer. Sprinkle remaining tablespoons sugar over berries (optional).
This cake works beautifully with fresh or frozen strawberries. Though, I've found if I use frozen strawberries, I need to cook it a little bit longer. Top with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. This cake just made my summer a little bit sweeter!
You're welcome!
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (can swap 3/4 cup all-purpose flour with 3/4 cup of barley flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
3/4 cups, plus 1 Tablespoons granulated sugar (optional)
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons of lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease (I used coconut oil) an 8x8 baking dish, a 10-inch pie pan, or a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. (This cake does not work in a standard 9-inch pie pan; it will overflow.)
Combine flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 3/4 cups sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer. Mix in egg, milk, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest until just combined. Add the dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth. Pour into prepared pie plate.
Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer. Sprinkle remaining tablespoons sugar over berries (optional).
Bake cake for 10 minutes at 350°F, then reduce oven
temperature to 325°F and continue baking until golden brown and a tester comes out
free of wet batter, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes. (Gooey strawberries on the
tester are a given.) Let cool in the pan on a rack. Cut into wedges.
This cake works beautifully with fresh or frozen strawberries. Though, I've found if I use frozen strawberries, I need to cook it a little bit longer. Top with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. This cake just made my summer a little bit sweeter!
You're welcome!
No comments:
Post a Comment