Sunday, June 3, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

Yes, I know I'm a week late in posting this, but I'm going to go ahead and blog about it anyway just so I can remember it.  (Typical memory span for me these days is about 5 seconds.  That's part of why I'm just now getting around to blogging about last weekend!)  ;)

So we reneged on our vows to not travel anywhere for the next, oh, I don't know... 5 years?  And made a rather last minute decision to head down to the farm for a day last weekend.  It was a super hot and muggy Saturday, but the kids didn't seem to mind much.

We drove down Friday night so we would be able to take advantage of the cooler part of the day on the farm.  Shortly after breakfast we headed down to the barn...

Grandpa got the pony ready for pony rides.

The girls each took turns riding the pony.

Even Josiah took a turn riding with Emma.  Though I don't think he was too excited about it.  He started asking to get off about a minute after he was on.  

Ashlyn found some cows and tried to talk them in to coming closer for a visit.  She tells us that someday she will live on this farm with her family of 5 children--and Grandma and Grandpa will live there too.  She says they'll help her take care of the place.

The girls enjoyed a tree swing in the shade.  And if you look behind Ashlyn in the distance, you can see Emma picking cherries off of a cherry tree.  Grandma let us take a bucket of cherries home, and we made some muffins and cherry crisp with them.  Yum!
And then there's the shed.  The girls enjoy playing in the shed whenever we're there.  Emma continued working on her great American novel on an old type writer, and Ashlyn cooked up some meals for Grandpa in there too.


Dakota took Josiah up on an old tractor.  He liked the knob on the steering wheel, but I think he was disappointed that nothing beeped or made noise when he touched it. 

Late in the morning when the heat started to kick in, Grandma brought out the sprinklers.  At first, both girls acted excited about getting to run through the sprinklers.  But as it turns out, Ashlyn is still afraid of them, so she opted out.  
After lunch we enjoyed staying in the cool house for a while.  But it wasn't too long before the girls wanted to go back out again.  They did a little more exploring before we had an early dinner and headed back for home.  It was a fun day, and the girls are anxious to go back down again.  But Emma said next time she wants to have some time where she just gets to sit and read with Grandma and Grandpa.  Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

No comments: