Emma was especially excited to get back into math again, even asking a week before we started if she could have her math book, because she was bored and just wanted to do some math. She was also excited to find out what all we'd be reading this year and get started on it. However, I think she's been disappointed to find the pace of things at the beginning of the year is slower and includes quite a bit of review. The idea of easing back into things is apparently lost on her. But I probably shouldn't be surprised by this, considering this is the same girl who set herself the goal of starting and finishing a 600 page book the week before school started. --And she did it too!
Not wanting to be left out, Ashlyn got to join us for reading, bug hunts and painting this week. The painting-with-straws project was fun for all of us! (Yep, I even gave that one a try.)
I loved the abstract tree with fireworks Emma created.
Ashlyn also got to try out a new game I made up called, Fishing in the Family Room. (Original title, I know!) I printed out a bunch of fish shapes with letters on one side, and laminated them. Then I cut them out and put paper clips on them. Finally I created a fishing pole with a magnet on the end, and viola! We were in business! When she catches a fish, she has to tell me the letter, the sound it makes, and a word that starts with that letter. Eventually we'll start making short words out of the fish/letters she catches.
Even Josiah learned new things this week. The fact that he has a tongue and he can play with it seems to be his favorite new discovery this week. Ah, good times... good times. :)
1 comment:
Looks like they are having way more fun than I had in school!
Post a Comment