This past weekend, we had some friends over to swim and share dinner with us. When given the choice between two swim suits, her suit with a princess on it, or her suit with blue and black swirls, she chose the swirls. I actually like the suit with swirls a bit better myself, so I didn't think anything of it, until she told me why she picked it--she didn't want to look too girlie.
"Too girlie?" I asked. Then she explained that she knew boys were coming over, and boys don't like princesses. But she thought the boys would like the colors blue and black. So she's already picking what she wears based on what she thinks the boys will like. I am not ready to enter this world of boy-meets-girl just yet.
But perhaps the worry was a bit premature. Once the boys arrived, Emma was every bit herself, and the kids all played well together.
Then, at the end of the night, one of the boys connected with Emma on a topic that elicits squeals of excitement every time--BUGS. Yes, my princess-, dress-, and sparkle-loving girlie-girl also loves bugs. And we have an army of cicada shells to prove it.
As the other family was preparing to leave, one of the boys noticed a cicada shell on our tree. Suddenly, the hunt was on! All the children surrounded the tree, hoping to be the one to find the next shell to add to his or her collection. Everyone left with a handful of these creepy looking bug shells that night. And they really are creepy looking!
I told Emma we wouldn't be keeping all of them, and she broke out in tears. So I relented and gave the bug army a tissue to camp out on... for now. Anyone have any good ideas for what to do with a bunch of creepy bug shells? If so, I'd love to hear from you!
2 comments:
no but you needed a close up of one of them for everyone to see how it looks like they still have their eyes. Creepy things yes!
Oh, I know! It does still look like they have eyes! You can kind of see that in the one on the far right. And the long thingy that looks like some sort of sucker sticking out of their mouth--even that's there!
Post a Comment